SHARE THE ROAD
There might be bit of fall chill in the air, but as long as the sun is out, motorcyclists will be on the road. Just this past weekend, officers responded to three crashes involving motorcycles where serious injuries were reported and that's why we want to take a moment to remind both motorists and motorcyclists to share the road.
Here are some tips for motorists to help avoid colliding with a motorcycle:
• Allow extra space when following a motorcycle as they can stop and turn more quickly than other vehicles.
• Allow motorcycles the full width of a lane at all times.
• Motorcycles can be hard to see at a distance so use extra caution when turning left at an intersection.
• Check your mirrors and blind spots for motorcycles before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
• Never drive distracted or impaired.
Additionally, motorcyclists are also urged to take precautions to remain safe on the road by wearing protective gear, obeying the speed limit and never riding impaired. Most motorcyclists who are killed in traffic crashes are not wearing helmets.