Important Reminder: Cycling through the CO 74 Rockfall Mitigation work zone is prohibited during working hours
Hey JeffCo! We love cycling too, but we want you to be safe while you do it so please heed this advice from our friends at the Colorado Department of Transportation:
Full Closure of CO 74/ Bear Creek Canyon between Morrison and Idledale September 2020 – February 2021, Monday through Thursday, 4:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Friday 4:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
WHY IS CYCLING PROHIBITED DURING WORKING HOURS?
Cycling through CO 74/ Bear Creek Canyon during working hours is extremely dangerous, as large rocks are falling onto the road in the work zone. The full closure is in place to protect the safety and lives of cyclists and motorists and to allow the contractor to complete the work as quickly as possible.
This part of CO 74 is a narrow canyon with limited areas for crews to maneuver equipment and the rock scaling operations may result in rockfall on the roadway, which is why full closures are necessary during work hours.
WHY IS THIS PROJECT GOING ON RIGHT NOW?
With more than three years of research, CDOT has deemed this area a high risk for rockfall. This project is being conducted right now to ensure long-term safety in this part of the canyon for the traveling public. These few months of work will ensure long-lasting safe accessibility for cyclists and motorists by reducing the risk of rockfall events.
WHAT ARE THE TRAVEL IMPACTS?
● Cyclists (along with motorists) are prohibited from riding through the construction zone during the working hours listed above.
● There will be full closures of CO 74 between Morrison and Idledale (MP 16.1 -18) in place during working hours.
● Typical working hours will be 4:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, and 4:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Fridays. No weekend work or closures are anticipated. This schedule will remain in effect through Feb. 2021. (weather dependent)
● Motorists are advised to follow the detour signs and seek alternate routes. Interstate 70 is the general detour route for east and westbound motorists.
● Local traffic on CO 74 can take Parmalee Gulch Rd southbound from Kittredge to US 285 to connect with C-470, or head northbound via S Grapevine Road from Idledale to connect with I-70. Please note the county roads (Parmalee Gulch and S Grapevine) are for local traffic only. Trucks or large vehicles should detour via I-70.